Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's 2:30am here, but I can't sleep. That means it's time to update the ol' blog!

So I've been doing some thinking about how to get around in the winter. Most of the details I won't go into at the moment, but I do want to talk out loud a bit about how to store an electric wheelchair or scooter in a cold climate.

If protecting it from precipitation and groundwater isn't an issue (and at this point, I think that's a solved problem), then the remaining issue is cold. It was suggested to me that this might be solved by installing an engine block heater. That, my googling quickly showed, would not be a good idea - those things look heavy, bulky, and generally not a solution to this problem.

In that same conversation, an electric blanket was suggested. I'm not sure if this suggestion was sarcastic, or if the "in a pinch" qualifier was sincere. As it turns out, though, there actually are electric blanket-like devices designed for exactly this use, called "battery warmers". If I'm lucky, I might even be able to find some sized for motorcycle batteries, and with two wraps connected to a common power source. I suppose I should probably also ask my local Amigo dealer if they think this would do any harm. Luckily (I guess) I need to see them soon to replace my current batteries ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane J Standiford said...

Maintenance of scooters and power chairs is such a rip-off. I just paid $350 for new batteries for my power chair after having it for less than a year! "They only last about 6 months." HUH? I used my scooter daily, up/down Seattle hills and only replaced them once in...years! RIP OFF

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home