Sunday, May 25, 2008

Went to a Ruby on Rails workshop yesterday. All of the following was said or written during the workshop:

"So, it turns out it's really easy to get people to bitch."
"Wait, I can trade caffeine for sex?"
"There's two ways to get hired. You could tell them you're comfortable with the language, which they like. Or you could tell them you don't know the language, but can pick it up quickly. Unfortunately, HR droids ... wait, is Christine around? Okay ... HR people don't like that. They have this unreasonable thing about experience."
"You all know who Guy L Steele is, right? He created Scheme, he did a lot in the early days of Java ... he's probably the most intelligent programmer on the planet. But if he went to a bunch of interviews and said, 'I want to play with Ruby, please hire me', eighty or ninety percent of those companies would turn him down flat. And they'd be idiots for it."
"I'd be up for going out and drinking. I don't really know the area, though. They feed me here, so I've lost a lot of survival skills."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home