Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A local Deaf group is hosting a presentation and discussion with researchers who are studying (have developed?) methods of 'curing' deafness using stem cells. I don't have too many specifics right now, but I imagine it falls into the category of cochlear hair regeneration.

These researchers want to get a better sense of what the Deaf community thinks of their work. Assuming the discussion manages to avoid the predictable anti-CI extremism (warning: that site is extremely ableist), it should be quite interesting.

My own thoughts, though, turn to what exactly is being offered. I don't know what the clinical results might be, but for the sake of argument, let's say completely normal hearing. Probably with a training period like a cochlear implant, but with potential capabilities far beyond an implant. Would I be interested in that? I'm really not sure. There are logistical issues - cost, probably surgery, etc - and since my deafness is at least partially conductive, this treatment might not be appropriate for me anyway, but let's leave those issues aside for a moment. The hearing I have right now suits my needs very well; speech sounds natural through my implant and music is good though my hearing aid (and getting better through the implant). Assuming phenomenal results, my speech perception might improve somewhat, especially in noise. My music perception might also improve. I'd almost certainly have better localization capabilities, and I wouldn't be dependent on all of this equipment - no more charging batteries, no more replacing wax filters, no more biannual reprogramming. All of these things would be nice.

And yet, I'm not sure I could make that choice. For years, I've had the ability to pipe an audio signal into my ear - and now into my head - in a way that hearing people can't. Ever since I was five, I've been able to go silent when I sleep, or even in the afternoon or evening when I just need to disengage the world. I've been able to pipe a signal directly from most telephones into my ear, without any noise from the outside world whatsoever. I've been able to decrease the intensity of the sound that I perceive at a moment's notice. And because of my hearing loss, I've developed a number of communication skills and strategies - not just lip reading, but also contextualization, closure, patience - that have served me well in ways that have little or nothing to do with my inability to comprehend speech perfectly.

The information is not all in. It will be interesting to see what the promise of this research is and whether the researchers see it as replacing cochlear implants and hearing aids in the long-term. Obviously I'm not opposed to this sort of thing in principle - after all, I chose to get a CI less than a year ago! But for now at least, I'm happy with the middle path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home