Tuesday, January 30, 2007

You have an MD and board certification in otolaryngology. You do not have an AuD, a CCC-A, an MS-Aud, certification by the ABAud, or any other audiological certification.

So when I tell you that I am a cochlear implant candidate; that my SRTs are 90 dB and above; and that I can't understand you very well when you have your back to me, perhaps you should assume that my clear speech and my receptive capabilities are due to a progressive loss; good lip reading; and a clearly defined context within which our conversation is contained. As opposed to, y'know, asking when I last saw an audiologist (duh - the candidacy thing, remember?), if I'm sure I have a severe to profound hearing loss, and whether I can understand speech with my hearing aids out.

You may not have the certifications I mentioned above, but you should at least know that much if you're going to be an ENT (and lecture on the topic at Harvard med school).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home