Friday, June 03, 2005

Weird. My ear doctor just told me about a surgery that I should "think about doing" within the next five or ten years to close the holes I've had in my eardrums for the last 13 or 14 years (T-tubes way back then b/c my Eustacians didn't descend; had 'em inserted every year for 7-8 years, so the hole is now a permanent one). Funny thing is, there's some small risks (loss of hearing, for example), a PITA recovery (no flying for three weeks; loss of one ear's hearing for 3-6 weeks) and - here's the good part - almost no benefit. Basically, my ears wouldn't drain when I have an ear infection - but without the hole, I can't recover from an ear infection easily! Oh, and I wouldn't have to wear earplugs when I swim or shower, but that's an ingrained response by now. I'd feel uncomfortable without 'em, and I wouldn't be able to wear my hearing aids for about ten minutes while they dry.

I just don't get it - more than eight years of studying for this, a few decades of experience, and yet she's suggesting surgery for which she has no better justification than, "it puts you in a more normal physiological state"? I've got news for you, lady - I haven't been in a normal physiological state for years, and I'm okay with that. It ain't worth the surgery, even if it is outpatient.

For everyone who read through all that ... thanks for putting up with my ranting. Oh, and Ray? I think maybe you were right with the Star Trek analogy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home